Friday, August 5, 2011
June Team Impacts Sierra Leone!!
Impact of the June team:
• Focus: curriculum development and teacher training at Hosetta School for Kids with Special Needs – one TX teacher who writes curriculum for special education for the state led 3 teachers, 2 college students training to be teachers and 2 assistants in 7 days of hands-on training with students working side-by-side with the staff of Hosetta
• An abundance of material, manipulatives and supplies were stocked in the classrooms at Hosetta
• 3 additional team members helped with a food distribution to 85 War Widow Families impacting approximately 700 people
• One team member, a physical therapist, spent a day assisting the Physical Therapy Staff on Mercy Ships
• One team member, an agriculturalist, spent a day with the Mercy Ships off-ship agricultural team in a training program for 30 nationals from all over Sierra Leone
• The agriculturalist also visited farms worked by the War Widows (about 40 miles in the interior) and by 85 orphan caretaker families (90 miles inland)
• The entire team spent one morning on the streets of Waterloo visiting street kids
• The entire team held 2 day Bible schools in the evenings for St George Refuge for Street Kids and Margaret Tucker’s Orphanage (2 evenings in each place)
• The 9 team members from Missouri spent time vision casting for future partnerships and ministry opportunities for 2012
• Sewing groups from Arkansas and Missouri provided clothing that blessed orphaned and under-privileged children in 3 locations
What a blessing the June team was to us personally and to so many of our friends here in Sierra Leone!!! Way to go TEAM!!!